[Novalug] dmesg showing vesafb / drive errors at bottom
kkauffman at headfog.com
Sun Jan 21 19:25:48 EST 2007
MICROSOFT NOVELL SUSE LINUX 10.2!!! bahahahahaha...... <had to say it
Ok ok.... where to start....
* acpid is not needed with newer 2.6 kernels. The kernel handles
ACPI events with needing the acpid.
* acpid should only be tweaked in your BIOS so that it doesn't shut
down devices that need to stay running (disk, etc). However, you
still want the kernel to handle ACPI events for things like
* if acpi is active in BIOS, then disable apm in BIOS
* apm is not needed unless your BIOS doesn't handle ACPI. Given
that, apm is typically needed for "poweroff".
* Are you still using that 2.5" hard drive with the funky adapter on
the cable (I recommended you ditch that hookup). I'm thinking
that converter is dorking your stability.
* Double check for any tell tale message in /var/log/messages?
* Did you see any errors on reboot?
* Did you see any errors in any other /var/log file? (kernel? daemon?)
It takes a lot to hose a Linux server on the 2.6 kernel. Typically it's
a significant hardware or I/O failure. My gut tells me it's that
2.5"/converter if you still have it set up.
More information about the Novalug