[Novalug] Data Backup
igor_birman at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 28 15:17:21 EST 2009
I frequently back up Windows computers, some with corrupt files, using Knoppix to a Samba share. I have tried a few different approaches, but the ones I use now are:
* Drag and drop..
* rsync -av /dev/hda1 /mnt/sambashare
* cp --preserve=timestamps -rv /dev/hda1 /mnt/sambashare
All have some issues:
* Drag and Drop does not preserve timestamps.
* If the cp command fails for some reason half way through, I would have to start from scratch.
* rsync is great if I need to start over, but if it hits a file it can't copy - like one over 2GB, it stops dead in its tracks.
What I need is an automated, fool-proof, way to copy all the good files off a windows partition, that won't stop until it has done as much as possible, that will copy every file it can, that can be re-started at any time, that that will give me a simple report of any problems it had along the way.
I use Unstoppable Copier for Windows to do this: http://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=29 - it is good except the log has every file, good or bad, and there is no easy way to get a list of files that were not copied.
Tools like Ghost or Gparted that copy entire partitions are no good - if they hit any bad files they stop dead in their tracks - they will only copy perfect, pristine partitions..
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Novalug