[Novalug] question about blogging
franklin at elfie.org
Tue Jan 19 13:39:29 EST 2010
On Jan 19, 2010, at 12:57 PM, Bonnie Dalzell wrote:
> I have been thinking of starting a blog in addition to my webpages.
> for those of you who blog - opinions and experience
> is it best to use a blogsite or do one at one's leased site on a
There are a number of factors to weigh here. In favor of running it on your own server/VM:
* You own and (better) control your own data.
* Experience putting together a blog package
* A full VM lets you run other things, such as mail and calendaring
* Down time when you choose it.
* Low cost.
* Webhosting can be under $10/month (I've heard $6.)
* Low end VMs can be $20/month.
* My VM costs me about $30 a month, but I do a lot with it. (I have HOA fees that are higher.)
In favor of using a blogsite:
* Someone else manages the software & security
* Less expensive, some are free.
* Removes the distraction of administration, letting you focus on the writing.
FWIW, I didn't put performance in either category as that is dependent entirely on the service. Blog sites, web hosting and VM services can all be over-subscribed. I'm happy with the performance of Linode, I was grossly unhappy with the performance of Brinkster when I used them. My friend's site on blogger.com seems to perform well.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 3914 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://calypso.tux.org/pipermail/novalug/attachments/20100119/0dadbe85/attachment.bin
More information about the Novalug