[Novalug] Bad component
jhart at kevla.org
Tue Apr 10 20:07:17 EDT 2012
1. Are you running the latest BIOS?
2. Have you reset the BIOS to factory defaults?
3. Can you boot from a live CD?
4. What components do you have installed? Remove everything but MB with CPU,
RAM, HDD, and CDROM Drive. (don't worry about internet access, without
booting up it doesn't matter anyway)
5. Have you tried a installing on another PC, and placing the resulting disk
in the suspect PC, see if that boots?
6. What version of Windows have you tried?
7. Is this a new PC or one you have had for a while?
8. Are the boot failures consistent (meaning they fail at the same place every
time) or random?
9. Does the same Ubuntu disk install fine on another PC?
10. How old is the power supply?
11. Have you tried to see if Fedora installs?
12. Did you burn the install disks (CDs), or are they pre-made?
13. Get me the questions for #1-12!!!
> I have a gigabyte 970a-ud3 with an AMD FX-4100. It boots but cannot complete
> an OS install without blue screening or segfaulting/panicing. (Tried both
> Ubunu and Windows).
> I've tried two different sets of memory, so I doubt it's the memory. I've also
> tried gobs of BIOS settings.
> Which component do you think is more likely to be bad: the CPU or the
> Novalug mailing list
> Novalug at calypso.tux.org
More information about the Novalug