still codings problem (saving) with babel.
oub at mat.ucm.es
Mon Dec 12 16:25:07 EST 2011
>> On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 17:53:21 +0000, Aidan Kehoe <kehoea at parhasard.net> wrote:
> Ar an triÃº lÃ¡ dÃ©ag de mÃ na Nollaig, scrÃobh Stephen J. Turnbull:
>> Uwe Brauer writes:
>> > Char: é (U+2000E9 jit-ucs-charset-0 35 56) point=467 of 473(99%) column 2
>> Maybe Aidan can explain what looks like a Latin-1 character is being
>> stuffed into a jit-ucs charset.
> This is what happens when Latin-1 is decoded as UTF-8, since I changed the
> UTF-8 coding systems to avoid transforming every octet that is not valid
> UTF-8 to tilde. Basically, babel (or more probably, the URL-retrieval code)
> isnât looking at the MIME information about what coding system the data is
> in at all.
What I found strange is: when this char is in the buffer
and the other chars are ascii, then saving to UTF-8 works
However if the other chars are latin-1 the trouble starts.
There are two solutions
- Use the function steve sent me.
- Change babel.el:
(decode-coding-region (point-min) (point-max) 'utf-8)
(decode-coding-region (point-min) (point-max) 'latin-1)
I am not sure what is better.
BTW, what is the difference between decode-coding-region and
PS this was the first email of yours whose chars were
displayed correctly in Xemacs and seamonkey but not in my
Ipod touch..... :-(
More information about the XEmacs-Beta